Preparing For a Long Distance Move
When moving across the province or across the country, preparing for a long distance move is extremely important so that everything goes smoothly. The first thing is to ensure that you’re hiring a reputable, trustworthy and experienced long distance moving company. By doing the move yourself, could end up costing you more and major headaches!
HIRE YOUR MOVERS
Make sure you do your research. There are a lot of companies that will just give you a quick quote over the phone without actually going through your inventory of items. Long distance moves are based on weight so if they’re too low with the quote and weight is much higher, than you pay that extra cost.
There are a couple of options for a long distance move. One is a direct door-to-door move and the other is if you have a smaller amount of items to move, you can share a trailer with other movers going to the same destination. Long distance moves are based on weight of your items.
At Burly Boyz Moving & Storage, we can do in-home moving estimates or, we have a new virtual inventory program. Click on the link, no downloading required, and take video of your home from room to room. The video also captures audio, so you can talk as you’re going through to let the estimator know of what’s going and what’s not. Get a fast quote with no hidden costs.
CREATE A CHECKLIST
You may be a scheduler like me, however, if you’re not and you need some reminders or a checklist to keep you on track, check out the link or keep reading.
- If you want to reduce the weight of your move and keep your costs down, sell some furniture in advance.
- Declutter your home. Why take unnecessary items that you haven’t looked at in years. More likely than not, if it’s not a keepsake, and you keep moving it with you or it sits in a storage room, it might be time to throw away, sell, donate or gift to a friend.
- There are items that moving companies will not take with them, non-allowables. For example, gasoline and other combustible items, liquids, perishable items etc. Many of these items can be given to friends or family, or disposed of properly through your city’s hazardous waste facilities.
- Get your packing supplies! While some boxes may be good for non-breakable items, you want to ensure that your using good quality moving boxes for your dishes, vases, knick knacks, etc. Don’t forget the bubble wrap and packing paper. Not sure of how many boxes you need, check out this box calculator.
- Start packing, don’t wait until the last minute. Spread it out and do maybe a few hours here and there. Start with the storage room, garage, shed and work your way up to the various rooms packing things you don’t use often. If you’re not a fan of packing or just don’t have the time, you can hire someone to do partial or full packing services.
- Label your moving boxes. With so many boxes, how do you remember what’s in each? Clearly label the boxes with the room and some of the contents within it. This will not only help the movers put it in the correct room, but help you when unpacking.
- Change your home utilities. Through all the mayhem, sometimes things can easily slip your mind. Contact your utilities companies approx 3-weeks prior to your move to arrange disconnection and installation of your new homes utilities.
- Along with your utilities, notify the post office of your move. It’s a small price to pay to have your mail redirected to your new home so you don’t have any unexpected surprises. Especially for personal mail items.
- When moving to a new city, ensure you have all the documents you need prior to your departure. For example, your childrens school documents, medical records, etc.
- Pack the essentials and personal items like computers, overnight bags, passports and cash for the day of your move.
- Be prepared for the movers the day of the move. If it’s winter, clear the driveway and sidewalk or snow and ice; fall, clear the leaves (they can be slippery for movers). Make sure there is plenty of room for the moving truck and the movers to load. Have most if not all your homes contents packed and ready to go.
- Make plans to have your pets and children at a neighbours, friends or family members so they’re out of the way and having fun while the move is happening. Moving can be stressful to them to.
Moving doesn’t have to be a daunting task. As long as you have planning done prior and have hiried the right movers, your move day should be a breeze.
Check out our long distance or local moving services with our Edmonton Movers, Calgary Movers, Mississauga Movers and Vancouver Movers.
That’s all for now. Remember, for any inquiries about a long distance move – give us a call.
At Burly Boyz Moving & Storage, we provide honest quotes with no hidden fees.