You’ve purchased your new dream home and hired your movers, purchased your packing supplies, now let the packing begin! But did you know that there are some things that a moving company simply cannot move?
Should it stay, or should it go? What are non-allowables
When you hire a moving company, you expect that your movers should move everything. Unfortunately, it is not true. Do not be surprised on your moving day, make plans to have non-allowables moved to your new home or disposed of safely in advance. Below we will educate you and have you ready for a stress-free move! At Burly Boyz Moving & Storage, we ensure that we send our detailed list of non-allowables to all our clients.
First, what is a non-allowable?
Non-allowables are items that a moving company will not pack, handle, or transport as they may pose some kind of risk when moving. For the safety of the movers and your belongings, and provincial and government regulations, these items are considered non-allowables.
- Hazardous materials and other dangerous goods
- Perishable items
- Personal items of sentimental value
Some movers may make an exception. This will depend on the items, the distance of your move and special circumstances.
Hazardous Materials, Dangerous Goods
- Guns and ammunition pose a risk and can also be a legal factor for your movers to transport. It would be best for you to move these on your own. Be sure to check with your local police or RCMP if an authorization to transport is required and rules about transportation of guns and ammunition.
- Flammable, corrosive, or explosive items – these include and are not limited to propane tanks, motor oil, lighter fluid, lighters, matches, gasoline tanks, fire extinguishers, paint thinners
- Poisonous items – pesticides and insecticides
- Liquor – you may be surprised to see this on the list, however, it is highly flammable
- Nail polish remover, aerosol cans like hairspray and deodorant
- Fireworks and explosives
- Car batteries
Many of these items can be given to friends or family or disposed of properly through your city’s hazardous waste facilities.
- Food – If you are moving across the city, your movers may make an exception. If you are moving long-distance, your movers will not move perishable food items. The box of the moving truck does not have temperature controls and can become very hot, or cold. Rotting of food can attract insects and rodents or can leak through the box and cause damage to your other items, not to mention the smell…..eww. However, your dry and canned goods can be moved. Ensure the packaging is sealed so contents do not spill.
TIP: Best idea is to have coolers and move those items yourself or giveaway to friends or family. If you do not want to move some of your food items, consider donating it to your local homeless shelter or foodbank.
- Plants – Again if you are moving long-distance, the likely hood of your plants arriving alive is at risk, they are too sensitive to move. In addition, your plants can provide a home to parasites and pests. There can be an exception to the rule here if it is a local move.
- Pets – Well this should be obvious. The conditions in the back of a moving truck are not ideal for humans let alone your fur babies. Moving can be stressful for them too. Keep them safe and comfortable and have them with you in the vehicle.
TIP: If you are moving local or long-distance, have your pets stay with friends or family until the move is over. Introduce them to their new home when the movers have left. This will reduce their stress and keep them out of harm’s way.
Personal Items of Sentimental Value
- Personal documents – legal documents, credit card statements, medical records, stocks, bonds, etc.
- Jewelry, photos, artwork, or collections – items that are irreplaceable
- Credit cards, debit cards or cash
- Laptops, computers
Moving companies can move these if you wish. They prefer not to because of the inherent risk of loss or damage. When moving, it is always a great idea to keep your medications, credit cards, cash, and laptops with you too!
Many companies have their own lists of things they will not move for you. It’s up to you to check and be prepared prior to your move to ensure your move is a breeze. At Burly Boyz Moving & Storage we have our list that we send out to our customers when they book. Check it out!
If you are ever unsure of what can or cannot be moved, do not hesitate to consult your moving company. It is better to be safe than sorry.
Need boxes and packing supplies or packing services? Burly Boyz Moving & Storage has competitive prices and a special limited time offer of 30% off packing supplies.
NEW, is our eco-friendly option to packing, the Burly Box. The Burly Box is made of 100% HDPE which makes it crush proof and weatherproof. They are preassembled and stackable! When you rent your Burly Boxes from us, we supply you with a cart so you can roll your boxes from room to room, stacking up to 5 at a time! Delivery and pick up are free in the greater Edmonton area and you’ll receive free packing labels. Visit our website for pricing.